December in New England may seem like a strange time to be thinking about a backyard makeover, but winter is the perfect time to day dream about warmer months ahead. Need some inspiration for your own pool paradise? Check out 20 beautiful poolscapes from across the globe!
Which poolscape is your favorite? Leave us your vote in the comments!
No one wants to say goodbye to the hot, sunny days of summer, but we’ve got great news: fall is one of the best times to head outdoors. There’s something wonderful about the crisp, autumn breeze and fall colors that welcome you as you step into your poolside spot. That’s why we’ve compiled a few ways to help you embrace the fall season in your backyard oasis.
1. Add a Fire Feature
Those shivering moments when we step out of the pool seem never-ending on cool, fall afternoons. Thankfully, gas fire pit tables make those moments shorter. The Outdoor GreatRoom Company’s gas fire pits instantly ignite stunning flames for that much-needed warmth and ambiance. The UL listed burner maximizes safety and eliminates unpredictable smoke. With so many styles and sizes to choose from, you are sure to find a fire pit to compliment your pool design. When the fire isn’t lit, simply place the burner cover on top of your gas fire pit for a functional table during your autumn gathering.
2. Add a Hot Tub or Spa
The swimming pool is your go-to spot for a refreshing swim on warm fall days but what about those inevitable colder afternoons? A hot tub or spa may become your new BFF. The increased heat not only keeps you warm, but it also provides extra relaxation. Busy family schedule? Stressful day at work? Endless to-do list? Let a spa melt away your worries for a little while. It may not get those to-do list chores done, but we all need some relaxing moments in-between the chaos.
3. Keep Up on Checkups
Make sure to keep up on maintenance to increase the longevity of your pool, hot tub, or spa. Rainy fall days are common, which means it’s vital to regularly test your water. Simply drop off a sample of your water at South Shores Pool Supply for a free professional water test. If frequent cleaning and routine maintenance don’t seem to fit into your busy autumn schedule either, leave it to the professionals to ensure your pool stays pristine.
Now that you’re armed with the essentials for extending your time outdoors, grab your favorite pumpkin spiced drink and enjoy a successful fall pool and spa season!
Fitness and wellness are top priorities for people looking to live long, healthy lives. Your pool has always been a place for leisure, relaxation and fun, but it can also become your favorite place to get in a workout. Many find swimming to be an enjoyable way to get exercise. It is an activity the whole family can do individually or together, no matter their pace or fitness level.
The Benefits of Aquatics
Swimming is unique because unlike most sports, it offers a full-body workout. Whether you are doing the breaststroke or backstroke for 30 minutes, you are working all of the major muscle groups in your body at once. An equivalent workout on land would take 45 minutes.
Swimming builds muscle tone, with the added benefit of being low-impact, meaning it doesn’t stress your joints and muscles the way many other exercise regiments do. When you swim, you’re increasing your heart rate, building endurance, strength and flexibility, improving your overall fitness.
Swimming is one of the most effective ways to burn calories and gives you more bang for your buck. “A 160-pound person burns approximately 423 calories an hour while swimming laps at a low or moderate pace. That same person may burn up to 715 calories an hour swimming at a more vigorous pace. A 200-pound person doing the same activities would burn between 528 and 892 calories an hour. A 240-pound person might burn between 632 and 1,068.” – Healthline
Alongside improving your cardiovascular health, swimming (in conjunction with a healthy diet) reduces your risks for many diseases. Studies have shown time in the pool can reduce blood pressure, improve lung function and even lower blood sugar levels. Swimming can also help you maintain a healthy weight.
The mental health benefits of swimming are bountiful. Just a short swim can relieve stress, have meditative qualities, reduce anxiety and produce endorphins that can be beneficial to people suffering from depression. Being in water also aids in relaxation, leading to better sleep and better overall health.
Swimming is for everyone
Whether you’re a child, adult or senior, swimming is a sustainable workout regiment you can continue throughout your life. Swimming is considered a low-impact workout with high-impact benefits. People recovering from injuries, living with disabilities or struggling with arthritis can all benefit from the ease of exercising in water because it supports up to 90 percent of your body weight. “Research in the International Journal of Sports Medicine shows swimming is better than straight-up rest for exercise recovery, for when you want to take it easy.”
If swimming laps isn’t your thing, there are other activities you can enjoy in the water that have many of the same health benefits. Maybe you prefer diving, water polo or resistance water walking to stay fit physically and mentally. The choices are endless!
From beginners to lifelong swimmers, the benefits of aquatics are undeniable. Swim laps, try water aerobics, challenge a friend to a pool basketball game – whatever you choose, choose aquatics in your daily life!
Being a pool owner can be a lot of work. While we love to help you make light of that work, we also want to be part of the fun! Test your pool pro knowledge with these fun facts and figures.
Did you know…?
1. The largest backyard swimming pool is located in El Campo, Texas and has a 500 foot lazy river. It holds 600,000 gallons of water and used to be a pond. It’s true what they say, everything really is bigger in Texas!
2.There are over 10.6 million swimming pools in the United States.
3. California is the state with the most swimming pools in the United States with over 3 million pools!
4. In 1907 the RMS Adriatic was the first ocean liner to have a swimming pool on board. The Titanic, which was built around the same time, had a heated swimming pool on board.
5. An hour of strenuous swimming will burn about 650 calories, more than walking or riding a bike for the same amount of time.
6. Swimming became an Olympic event in 1896. Women were allowed to compete starting in 1912. Today there are 16 swimming events but a men’s 800-meter freestyle, women’s 1,500-meter freestyle and a 4×100-meter medley mixed-gender relay are being added for the 2020 Olympic Games.
7. An Olympic size swimming pool can hold 700,000-850,000 gallons of water.
8. The world’s largest pool, according to the Guinness World Records, was built in Algarrobo, Chile in 2006. The Alfonso del Mar Seawater Pool is 3,324 feet long and covers 19.7 acres!
9. The cannonball is the most popular way to jump into the pool.
10. President Gerald Ford had an outdoor pool built at the White House in 1975.
11. 65% of Americans don’t know how to swim.
12. Benjamin Franklin invented swim fins. Unlike today’s foot flippers, the first fins were worn on your hands.
13. Australia builds more personal swimming pools per capita than any other country in the world. Since most of Australia is considered a desert or semi-arid, it’s no surprise!
14. The world record for breath holding underwater is 24 minutes achieved in 2016 by Aleix Segura Vendrell (Spain), in Barcelona, Spain! Vendrell is a avid free diver.
15. The breaststroke is thought to be the oldest of all swimming strokes. “Drawings in an Egyptian cave, appropriately called the Cave of Swimmers, depict swimmers in various poses, with the leg whipping motion believed to having been inspired by frogs.” – Your Swim Log
16. Swimming dates back to 2500 BCE as seen in ancient Egyptian cave paintings.
17. Elephants can swim an average of 20 miles a day using their trunks as snorkels.
18. 38% of pools having a diving board.
19. A resort in Port Dickson, Malaysia has 643 swimming pools, not including the private swimming pools at each villa!
20. A filtration system for swimming pools was invented in 1910 at Brown University, using chlorine. Public drinking water was being sanitized with chlorination and sand filtration, so they applied the same concept to swimming pools.
Have a fun fact to add? Drop us a line in the comments!
Humaflock is July 3rd! If you are participating in this awesome annual event and need a float, stop by our store between June 28th – July 3rd and mention “Humaflock” to receive 20% off your favorite rideable float!
What is more fun than finding the perfect pool float for every member of the family? Here are a few of our favorite Swimline pool floats, currently available in our retail store. We hope you will drop by to check out the whole collection and find your favorite!
1. SunSoft Island
2. Water Park Slide
3. The Biggest Giant Swan
4. Floating Mattress Lounger
5. Giant Lucky Ducky Float
6. The Cube
7. SunSoft Lounge
8. Giant Hippo Ride-On Float
9. Sofskin Floating Mattress
10. Tropical Tiki Bar
Which float is your favorite? Post your vote in the comments!
Father’s Day is around the corner (Sunday, June 16th) and we have just what you need to put a smile on Dad’s face. Whether your dad prefers a day of fun, relaxation or entertainment, we have the perfect gift.
Our knowledgeable and friendly retail store manager Dennis, has combed through his favorite gifts and has come up with some fabulous sale items Dad is sure to love!
Deal 1: 10% Off All Inflatables
Deal 2: 10% Off Nice Coolers and
Deal 3: 10% Off Pool Basketball &
Deal 4: 10% Off Water Tech Volt Pool & Spa Vacuums
Deal 5: 25% Off In-Stock Plank & Hide Patio Furniture
Mother’s Day is around the corner (Sunday, May 12th) and no one deserves a pampered day at the pool more than Mom. Show her that you’re always thinking about her with a thoughtful gift for fun, relaxation or entertainment.
Our knowledgeable and friendly retail store manager Dennis, has combed through his favorite gifts and has come up with some fabulous sale items Mom is sure to love!
Mother’s Day is around the corner (Sunday, May 13th) and no one deserves a pampered day at the pool more than Mom. Show her that you’re always thinking about her with a thoughtful gift for fun, relaxation or entertainment.
Our knowledgeable and friendly retail store manager Dennis, has combed through his favorite gifts and has come up with this helpful gift giving guide.
2. Treat her to a day of relaxation in the sun with the Ultimate Floating Lounger or Ultimate Mattress by Swimline. These durable inflatable cushions offer comfortable nylon covers. The mattress comes equipped with a full-size pillow, while the lounger offers onboard drink storage.
3. The Intrigue Spinning Table Top Fire from The Outdoor Greatroom Company is the perfect centerpiece for Mom’s outdoor entertainment area. Light up the patio with this beautiful gift she can enjoy with family and friends. Stop by our retail store to check out the Intrigue Spinning Table Top Fire in person!
4. Who doesn’t love music poolside to set the mood for your pool day? PoolTunes would make the perfect gift. Waterproof to 3 feet under, this wireless speaker will broadcast up to 35 feet and has an LED light for night swimming fun.
5. If there is a little one in the house, Mom may enjoy the Me and You Baby Seat float for two. This float comes in assorted turtle or goldfish styles.
6. If you are thinking about getting Mom some of our new premium cleaning equipment for Mother’s Day, be sure to include a note in her card that this gift comes with a few cleaning sessions from YOU!
7. Give the gift that keeps on giving with the Polaris 9650iQ Sport. “The 9650iQ Sport is a 4WD robotic cleaner that provides premium cleaning performance with the convenience of iAquaLink Control. By connecting to your home’s Wi-Fi network, the 9650iQ allows anytime, anywhere access to real-time scheduling programming, and troubleshooting from any smart device using the iAquaLink app.” – Polaris
iAquaLink™ Control – Connect to home Wi-Fi for access anytime, anywhere
Intuitive Convenience at Your Fingertips – remote control, recurring cleaning schedules, Easy Lift System and more
Easy to Monitor Cleaner Status – with dirty canister indicator, countdown timer, and troubleshooting tips
Tangle-Reducing Swivel – low-torque watertight swivel keeps cable from tangling during operation, and is now available on all Polaris 4WD robotic cleaners
4-Wheel Drive – climbs over obstacles and won’t get stuck
Don’t miss Polaris Days to save an extra 10% off during the pool cleaner sales event of the year! Make sure to stop by for the lowest prices anywhere on Polaris cleaners.
8. Share a float with your mom with Swimline’s Lotus Blossom for two. This float is fun, spacious and perfect for hanging poolside.
Stop by our retail store today to pick the perfect gift for the mothers on your list. Receive 10% off toys and floats and premium cleaning equipment May 11th – May 14th in our store. We look forward to helping you put a smile on Mom’s face!